Wetlands International, Bureau Afrique Occidentale et Golfe de Guinée.
Terms of Reference –
Tropical mangroves are among the most productive and valuable ecosystems on earth. They provide millions of people with food, clean water and raw materials. Despite the multiple ecosystem services they provide, tropical mangroves forests are now facing severe degradation caused mainly by human activities and the effects of climate change.
The most predominant causes of mangrove loss and degradation range from agriculture developments for rice and large-scale irrigation schemes, to oil and gas exploitation and climate change. The current and future threats due to climate change and unsustainable practices of mangrove conservation require innovative approach based on a strong scientific, economic, social and traditional knowledge in order to achieve biodiversity conservation and sustainable use of mangrove products and communities ‘s livelihood which depend on mangrove forest.
It is within this framework that Wetlands International initiated a new program called Mangrove Capital Africa (MCA), funded by the DOB Ecology Foundation to mitigate the still very pronounced degradation of African mangroves, despite the many efforts already made.
Its vision is Mangroves and their biodiversity are healthy, improving the livelihoods of millions of people and protecting them against the dangers of climate change.
Mangrove Capital Africa, a ten-year programme started in 2017 and is implemented along the coast of East and West Africa respectively in Rufiji Delta in Tanzania and Saloum Delta in Senegal The programme extended the implementation this year in Kenya and Guinea Bissau.
Wetlands International Africa is looking for a dynamic, proactive and motivated graduate with interest in mangrove conservation in Africa to support in MCA programme implementation. Excellent coordination skills, writing and communication skills are highly desired for the post.
Title: Programme Associate
Direct supervisor: MCA Director
Collaborators: project officers, administration
Assist the MCA Director in facilitating the monitoring of tasks and execution of Mangrove Capital Africa’s programme.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Programme Management Support
- Administrative Support
- Support resource mobilization
- Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Programme Technical Assistance
- Support the programme in developing various programme documents, such as work plans, budgets, reports, concept notes, Terms of Reference and proposals.
- Under the guidance of the Director, assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations for the programme unit.
- Identify sources, and gather and compile data and information for the preparation of documents, guidelines, and other material as required.
- Prepare and organise programme meetings and teleconferences including note taking, logistics and follow-up of decisions;
- Set up a system for reporting and following up on the decisions of these meetings;
- Provide support in the planning and production of technical reports for the programme;
- Support initiatives that require regular follow-up
- Support monitoring and evaluation activities as required;
- Assist in the review of documents translated from English into French;
- Qualifications Required
A Master 1 or 2 degree in environmental sciences, social sciences, political science, communication, international development, project management or a related field
- Experience and Skills
The successful candidate should be motivated and creative who is willing to learn quickly.
- 2 – 3 years’ experience in a similar position or in an NGO or firm
- Good working knowledge in French and English
- Excellent command of the usual software
- Excellent organisational and coordination skills and ability to prioritise multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Bilingual French – English. Fluency in English is mandatory
- Ability to work independently and willingness to learn
Applicants interested in this call are requested to send their CV and cover letter to the office with the title: “Recruitment of MCA Programme associate not later than 31 August 2022 to the following address:
Wetlands International Afrique
Côte Occidentale et Golfe de Guinée
Rue 111 No 39 B Zone B, Dakar- SENEGAL
N.B: Only electronic documents will be accepted and WIACO may, because of the immediate need of the recruitment, contact shortlisted candidates before 31 August 2022. Due to the anticipated volume of applications, please note that we will contact only shortlisted candidates.